Another way to help keep your skin healthy and reduce the signs of aging is by using a good antioxidant product. Antioxidants are nutrients (vitamins and minerals) and enzymes (proteins inside your body) that can help prevent and repair damage to your body’s tissue.
Antioxidants do this by slowing or preventing the effect of free radicals, which start oxidation — a process that causes damage from oxygen that can lead to cell dysfunction. Free radical damage is one of the main culprits involved in the rapid aging of the skin. Free radicals are highly unstable and reactive molecules that can damage cells.
Environmental factors that stimulate free-radical production include UV rays, radiation, cigarette smoke, and chemicals. When eaten or applied topically, antioxidants do the job of reducing this damage. Some popular antioxidant ingredients in skincare are vitamins C, E and A, lycopene, resveratrol, niacinamide, coffee berry and green tea.
Antioxidant Benefits For Your Skin
- Reduce the appearance of wrinkles: Skin-care products with antioxidants can help plump out the skin and make it appear more youthful.
- Promote a more even skin tone: Antioxidants, such as alpha lipoic acid and others found in pine bark and green tea, produce valuable anti-inflammatory results by increasing circulation and cell metabolism.
- Protection against sun damage: Antioxidants that stimulate blood flow in the skin can help encourage the growth of new cells and make sun-damaged skin appear younger. They also can lighten the hyper-pigmentation caused by sun exposure.
- Increase collagen production: Free radicals break down collagen proteins in the body. Collagen is responsible for helping the skin maintain its elasticity and strength and help it to appear more supple and young. Antioxidants can neutralize free radicals and allow collagen production to continue.
Great Antioxidants to Try in your 20s and 30s:
This potent moisturizer works overnight to deliver a unique complex of eight rapid and delayed-release antioxidants that defuse free-radical activity. It’s key ingredients are: Eukarion-134 (antioxidant); hyaluronic acid, sorbitol, trehalose, and glycerin (moisturizers).
It comes in three formulas: combination oily/oily, dry/combination and very dry/dry.
Seaberry Skin Nutrition Booster is a pure blend of concentrated oils and extracts that provides a boost of antioxidant-rich nourishment that you can add daily to your face or eye cream for amplified protection. It contains rocou extract, lycopene, seaberry oil and camellia seed. This is a great option for those who don’t want to layer a lot of different products. Just add a few drops to your favorite moisturizer.
Black Tea Age-Delay Serum helps diminish the signs of aging, protect from future damage, and provide 24 hours of supreme moisture. It absorbs quickly for a concentrated boost that instantly firms, brightens, and improves skin tone and texture. It’s derived from a blend of black tea, blackberry leaf extract, and lychee seed extract and contains the potent anti oxidants vitamins C and E.
Vinexpert Firming Serum uses Caudalie’s clinical patent Vine Resveratrol to visibly rebuild and repair skin. Resveratrol—the now famous antiaging ingredient was pioneered by Caudalie in 1997. This serum helps reduce visible wrinkles and enhances skin firmness. It’s oil-free, non-comedogenic formula is dermatologically tested and suitable for all skin types.
Good Antioxidants for your 40’s:
These high end antioxidants are extremely potent. They are expensive but can produce excellent results for aging skin. They may not be the right antioxidant if you are in your 20’s so be sure test or check with your dermatologist before using.
The protective and revitalizing effects of idebenone combined with lipoic acid, kinetin, and vitamin E help to reduce the appearance of lines, wrinkles, minor scars, redness and sun damage. It also minimizes the appearance of age spots and discoloration.
This antioxidant serum uses 15% pure L-ascorbic acid (vitamin C), 1% alpha tocopherol (vitamin E) and ferulic acid to diminish and prevent visible signs of aging and photo-damage. It neutralizes free radicals, shields against UV damage and enhances collagen production. A few drops a day is all you need.
This is another popular antioxidant product from Skinceuticals. Its a potent antioxidant gel that improves skin’s overall appearance including hyper pigmentation. Formulated with 2% phloretin, 10% vitamin C, and 0.5% ferulic acid, this highly active combination protects against future damage, while accelerating cell repair and regeneration.
Evens skin tone for a firmer, brighter complexion. Once absorbed, this serum can’t be washed or rubbed off and remains effective for a minimum of 72 hours.
Some important tips to keep in mind when beginning to use these products:
- Keep antioxidant products away from sunlight and limit their exposure to air.
- As with retinol it’s best to start out slowly 2 or 3 times a week to avoid redness and irritation.
- Use Caution when trying new products to make sure you have no allergies or adverse reactions to any of the ingredients.